What is a Complaint?

A complaint is a written and signed statement alleging a violation of federal or state laws or regulations, which may include an allegation of unlawful discrimination, harassment, intimidation, or bullying. If the complainant is unable to put the complaint in writing, due to conditions such as a disability or illiteracy, the agency shall assist the complainant in the filing of the complaint.

UCP Complaints

A complaint regarding the violation of specific federal and state programs that use categorical funds such as Adult Education, After School Education and Safety, Agricultural Vocational Education, American Indian Education Centers, American Indian Early Childhood Education, Career Technical Education, Child Care and Development, Consolidated Categorical Aid, Foster Youth Services, Local Control Funding Formula and Local Control Accountability Plans, Migrant Education, Nutrition Services, Regional Occupational Centers, School Facilities, Special Education, Tobacco-Use Prevention Education, and Unlawful Pupil Fees are considered UCP complaints. UCP complaints are filed with the district superintendent or their designee.

Compliance Officer: Carrie Duckart, Assistant Superintendent 7448 Fox Road Hughson, CA 95326 (209) 883-4428 cduckart@hughsonschools.org

Williams Complaints

A Williams Complaint, another type of UCP complaint, regards instructional materials, emergency or urgent facilities conditions that pose a threat to the health and safety of pupils, and teacher vacancy or misassignment and may be filed anonymously. Williams Complaints are filed with the principal, or their designee, of the school in which the complaint arises. Schools have complaint forms available for these types of complaints, but will not reject a complaint if the form is not used as long as the complaint is submitted in writing.

Please review the following "overview of complaints process" to assist you with determining your next steps. It is the District's goal to resolve all matters at the school site or department whenever possible. If you are unclear about a process, have questions, or need assistance, please contact us.

The Board advises the public that the proper channeling of complaints around instruction, discipline, learning materials, or district personnel is as follows:

  1. Teacher or Employee

  2. Principal or Supervisor

  3. Appropriate District Office Administrator

  4. Superintendent

  5. Board

California Department of Education - Notice of Class Action Settlement - English
California Department of Education - Notice of Class Action Settlement - Spanish